In this assessment we explore how media and communication are mediated by cultural context. You will write a 2, 000 word essay (with a 10% leeway over or under) analysing media representations of an issue in a particular country. You should analyse 2 – 3 media representations (eg: an article or editorial from a newspaper, a film/TV show, advert, comic, blog or vlog post, YouTube video etc), and incorporate discussion of the concepts and theories discussed in the unit to inform your analysis, eg: essentialism and non-essentialism, stereotyping, othering, culturism, hailing, interpellation. Your analysis can consider questions such as: In what ways is the representation essentialist/ non-essentialist? Are any kinds of stereotypes being deployed and how do you account for that portrayal? Is Othering evident? What is the relevant historical, economic, political and social background? What are the cultural reasons for the style and content of the media representations you have chosen? Is there more or less government control of the media from which you have drawn your particular examples?
-The media influences our perceptions of others (identities, social and cultural groups).
-Media creates meanings, values and norms about identities and social/cultural categories.
-All of this involves power relations.
The topic you choose to analyse is up to you. Some suggestions include:
• Discuss and analyse media representations of gender in sport in South Africa.
• Discuss and analyse media representations of immigration in France.
• Discuss and analyse media representations of an environmental issue in the UAE.
• Discuss and analyse media representations of Indigenous people in Australia.
– use 3 or more scholarly texts, in addition to the text book (Holliday, A., Kullman, J., & Hyde, M. (2016). Intercultural communication: An advanced resource book. London: Routledge)
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE