This exam will be composed to three sections.
- Section One will entail term identification. You will be provided with 10 terms (answer 8). Identifications should (a) define the concept and (b) explains the significance of the concept to org communication.
(8 terms at 5 points each = 40 points)
- Section Two will entail answering 2 short answer questions (8-10 sentences) (2 answers at 10 points each)
- Section Three will entail answering one of the chapter case studies provided below (1 answer at 15 points)
Deep structure of power
Power as interactional
Sovereign power vs. Strategic power
French & Raven’s forms of power
Empowerment and strategies to empower oneself
Challenges to the classical rational model of decision-making
Decision making as ritual (pp. 308)
Pondy’s phases of conflict
Feminist approach to conflict
Organizational responses to “others”
Manipulating opportunity structures
Strategies for dealing with marginalization
Microaggression (guest lecture)
The negative impact of microaggressions (guest lecture)
Theory of comparative advantage
“Tragedy of the commons”
Corporate social responsibility
Corporate social consciousness
- Describe the bases of organizational power and explain how they are related to the taken-for-granted assumptions of the cultures and perceptions of the societies that surround them?
- Describe the relationship between power and resistance. Answer the following questions: How do communication and information become a source of power? How are power and politics inter-related?
- Just as globalization is transforming economics and politics, it also is influencing cultures around the world. What are the three different views regarding the impact of globalization on culture?
- Choose an organization in which you actively participate. Then using any of the concepts we’ve discussed so far in class, explain why that organization works the way it does, and why communication functions in it the way it does. Then, suggest steps that could be taken to improve its communication and/or operations, and argue that those suggestions actually could be implemented (again, drawing on concepts we’ve discussed).
One of the following three case studies will appear on the exam. You will be responsible for answering the questions indicated. (1 Question @ 15 points)
Case Study 7.1 Applying What You Have Learned Q1
On Death & Dying Questions to Think About Q1
Case Study 10.1 Applying What You Have Learned Q1 & Q2
Sequestering Sexual Harassment Questions to Think About Q1 & Q2
Case Study 11.1 Applying What You Have Learned Q1 & Q23
Can You Trust Anyone Under 30? Questions to Think About Q2
Deep structure of power is a rule system in which people get to organize their behavior for domination to take place. It defines the power relationships in an organization.
Strategic ambiguityrefers to an illustration of how people make symbolic use of information in organizations. It promotes unified diversity in an organization.
Rhetorical messagesrefers to the information that transferred by words or other signs and symbols. They help in understanding messages and texts.
Hegemonyrefers to the dynamics that describe how a determinate group organizes its ruling at multiple levels. It represents the consent of subordinate groups to dominant organizational ideologies.
Nullificationis the attempt of power holders in an organization to persuade the rebels that they are wrong or mistaken. It helps in the revelation of new insights in an organization’s reputation.
Optimizingis the process of re-designing an organization for efficiency, technology upgrading, workforce planning, role clarification, and skill alignment. It helps in the production of marketing materials in the most efficient way.
Satisficingrefers to process of choosing a solution that will work better than the other options. This enables an organization in making the most efficient decisions.
Groupthinkrefers to a situation in which a group comes to one decision about a possible action despite the different opinions of the members. It helps an organization to come up with the best possible decision.
Glocalized/glocalizationis a term that describes a well-developed product or service distributed globally. It refers to the simultaneous occurrence of tendencies that universalize and particularize in an organization.
Defeasibilityis the lack of information about events, causing a crisis.
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE