One of the first things you will learn in law practice is the need to be able to follow instructions from your seniors. This ability is paramount as mistakes, due to a breach of this rule, can cause untold damage to clients and your firm’s reputation. In that vein you will be marked on your ability to follow instructions in this assessment.
- Letter of Advice
The first task you are required to undertake a letter of advice to your client. You will be provided with a copy of a file note, taken by your supervising partner Godfrey Shonk, of an interview with Tom Jones, a director of KUWTJ Pty Ltd.
You are requested by Godfrey to draft a letter of advice to KUWTJ Pty Ltd with respect to matter(s) discussed.
Regarding the format of this letter you are advised as follows:
- You are to use the letterhead provided for the firm Shonk, Shonk & Shyster No changes may be made to the letterhead.
- The letter is to be no more than three (3) A4 pages in length.
- You are to use Arial font but no less than 12point in size. Line spacing is to be 1.5.
- Margins are to be 1.5 cm top and bottom and both sides.
- The letter will be signed off by Godfrey Shonk as Partner of the firm.
- There are to be no footnotes nor endnotes to the letter.
- The reference for this matter is: <Insert your SID>:NJS:BSS. Your name or any identifier that would lead to your identity should not appear on the letter. This task, as with the majority of assessment in the Law Faculty, will be marked blind.
- Save the letter as a Word document. The file name will be your SID then surname of your Tutor ( ie Jackson or Stevens) no other identifier should appear.
- Memo of Advice to Partner.
The second stage of this assessment task will be a Memo of Advice to your Senior Partner Godfrey Shonk based on the letter of advice provided.
You are to undertake the relevant research and provide Godfrey with a detailed advice on the issues raised. You are expected to refer to legislation and precedent where relevant. Any such reference should be acknowledge by the use of Endnotes. Endnotes will not be included in the 3 page restriction
Regarding the format of this Memo you are advised as follows:
- Use whatever format for the Memo you think appropriate.
- The Memo is to be no longer than three (3) A4 pages in length ( not including Endnotes). It will be in 12 point Arial font with 1.5 spacing between lines. Margins 1.5cm all around
- The reference for this matter is: <Insert your SID>:NJS:BSS. Your name or any identifier that would lead to your identity should not appear on the Memo. If your name is required to appear it will be your SID only. This task, as with the majority of assessment in the Law Faculty, will be marked blind.
- Save the Memo with the letter in the file as advised above. Please ensure there are appropriate page breaks.
☐ Identification of purpose, audience
☐ Introductory paragraph
☐ Factual statements
☐ Frame legal questions, summarise key legal principles
☐ Client-centered legal discussion canvassing options
☐ Format – to/from/re
☐ Introduction (brief)
☐ Key legal issues and sub-issues
☐ Clear statements of law backed by authority
☐ Identify problems, weaknesses, alternatives, additional information required
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE