Analyze the basic themes that constitute the Ion Socrates dialogue. How does Socrates construct and steer the dialogue towards the desired result and conclusion? What is at stake in the Socratic refutation of the rhapsode’s way of relating to the Homeric or any other text? Analyze the theme of the state and censorship in the Republic. How is the theme of educating the young developed in the conversation?
4. Discuss the idea of academic freedom in the Socratic context. How does the category of the obedient citizen figure in this discussion?
5. How does Sidney position and develop his advocacy of poetry? Pay attention to his rhetorical and polemical strategies.
6. Analyze Sidney’s use and disarming of Platonic themes in his essay. How does he establish poetry both as theme and methodology, text and as pedagogy. How would you relate Sidney’s “educational policy” to our contemporary context of the Humanities?
7. Discuss Sidney’s triangulated discussion of the merits and demerits of History, Philosophy, and Poetry.
8. How does Sidney integrate edification and entertainment, instruction and delight/pleasure in his curriculum on behalf of Poetry?
9. Analyze Wordsworth’s poetic strategy of “recollecting in tranquillity….the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings” with reference to any one of his poems, in particular “The Solitary Reaper,” and “The Daffodils.” Pay special attention to the manner in which the last stanza of each of these poems operates as a summing up of the entire poetic experience.
10. What is stake in Wordsworth’s passion for rural and rustic life? Is this a political perspective or an aesthetic choice, or both? How do Politics and Poetry intermingle in his manifesto?
11. What does Nature mean to Wordsworth and is Wordsworth guilty of romanticizing and exoticizing rural folk and their proximity to Nature? What about his treatment of the solitary reaper?
12. No essential difference between the language of poetry and that of prose? What do you think both in terms of Wordsworth and with regard to our own times?
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE