SPRING SEMESTER 2018
MID TERM EXAM
- What limitation does stone have with regard to its characteristics as a building material? What was this material’s primary advantage over other materials used by some of the world’s oldest cultures?
- What type of graphic presentation or view used in architecture most closely resembles the accuracies contained in a photograph?
- Which of the early civilizations from the periods we have studied first used the courtyard as an integral element of design?
- What is the name of the structure that resulted from the Sumerian construction methods of applying a protective coating over sun baked brick? Where was it located?
- What word best describes the Mycenaean Megaron’s principle living space?
- In the Minoan Civilization, the palace of Knossos demonstrated what unique architectural element or detail?
- What cardinal direction are Greek temples typically oriented?
- Name three major characteristics of the Greek entablature.
- What term best describes the Chinese reverence for natural features like trees and rocks?
- What architectural feature or monument was used as a street sign and directional marker for guiding people to a Buddhist shrine?
- What was the inspiration for the pagoda structure in early Chinese and Japanese cultures?
- What city or cities that we have discussed from history demonstrated the ability to design and construct underground drains for a well-planned sewer system from their houses?
- Name the two earthly elements that the Hindu gods were believed to have an affinity for as presented in the Hindu religion.
- What structure, other than Stonehenge, was constructed to capture the winter solstice via a transom element that illuminated the structure’s inner chamber?
- Within the Acropolis in Athens, what building or temple would you find Caryatid Maidens?
- What term best describes the Harappan settlement layout method?
- What is the term used by both the Greeks and Chinese to describe an optical refinement?
- What direction or object is Khufu’s pyramid oriented toward?
- Who is the architect or master builder credited with designing the first stepped pyramid for Djoser’s Funerary Complex?
- What Greek temple or structure was most likely inspired by Queen Hatshepsut’s mortuary temple?
- Explain the concept of “Yin” and “Yang”.
- List two major differences between Daoist and Confucian designs.
- Through the Chinese and Japanese periods of architecture we have covered up to this part of the course, which of the five primary structural systems have past civilizations used?
- Why was the Choragic Monument built?
- Describe two elements of Chinese city planning. Provide references from the Artificer’s Record.
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE