Research paper: How information technology supports or makes possible biometrics and its
various implementations, and potential ethical and privacy issues related to the
use of biometrics. This assignment has two goals: 1) have students increase their understanding of
ethical issues related to the use of information technology through research, and 2)
learn to correctly use the tools and techniques within Word to format a research paper,
including use of available References and citation tools. These skills will be valuable
throughout a student’s academic career. The paper will require a title page, NO
abstract, three to five full pages of content with incorporation of a minimum of 3 external
resources from credible sources and a Works Cited/References page. Wikipedia and
similar general information sites, blogs or discussion groups are not considered
creditable sources for a research project. No more than 10% of the paper may be in the
form of a direct citation from an external source.
A list of topics from which students can choose is provided below.
Topics for Research Paper
The focus of the paper should be on the following:
2. how information technology supports or makes possible the development of
artificial intelligence (AI) and intelligent agents (such as Siri, Cortana, etc.) and
potential ethical and privacy issues related to AI.
3. how information technology supports or makes possible the development of
robots as intelligent as humans, smart machines and the IoT, What potential
benefits and risks can/will robots introduce?
4. how information technology supports or makes possible genome-based
treatments for curing diseases, and potential ethical and privacy issues that
might result from use of such treatments.
5. how information technology impacts family, eldercare, and parenting issues, and
potential ethical and privacy issues introduced by the use of information
technology and information systems in this area
6. how information technology has enhanced the use of computer-assisted
education in the elementary school classroom, and the possible positive and
negative impacts this enhancement provides.
7. issues facing the IT Manager or Security professional (e.g., privacy, ownership,
control, accuracy, and security) in an environment where information technology
is constantly expanding and changing.
8. how information technology plays a role in the era of Edward Snowden, Chelsea
Manning, WikiLeaks, et and the impact on defense information systems
9. how information technology plays a role in the rise (and fall) of cryptocurrency
and the positive and negatives of switching to the bitcoin environment.
If there is another topic that addresses ethical issues as related to information
technology that is of special interest to you but one that is not in the list above, request
permission from your instructor before selecting this alternate topic.
Writing Quality for the Research Paper
* All Grammar, Verb Tenses, Pronouns, Spelling, Punctuation, and Writing Competency
should be without error.
* Be particularly careful about mis-matching a noun and pronoun. For example, if you
say “A person does this…” then do not use “their” or “they” when referring to that
person. “Person” is singular; “their” or “they” is plural.
* Remember: there is not their, your is not you’re, its is not it’s, too is not to or two, site
is not cite, and who should be used after an individual, not that. For example, “the
person WHO made the speech” not “the person THAT made the speech.”
* In a professional paper one does not use contractions (doesn’t, don’t, etc.) and one
does not use the personal I, you or your. Use the impersonal as in the previous
sentence. It is more business-like to say “In a professional paper one should not use
contractions,” rather than saying, “In a professional paper you don’t use contractions.”
*Remember: spell-check, then proofread. Better yet, have a friend or colleague read it
before submitting it. Read it out loud to yourself. Read it as if you are submitting it to
You can find instructions on how to use the References tool in Word on a PC or
on a Mac in the separate file attached here.
Complete rubrics for this paper are found in the table on the next page.
Element # Requirement Points
Open Word and save a blank document with the following name:
“Student’s First InitialLastName Research Project”
Example: JSmith Research Project
Paper should be
– margins are set to 1” (left, right, top bottom),
– 12 point Arial type is used for all text
– headings, if used, are bold but in 12 point Arial type
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE