Debate #3: Epistemology: Is objectivity the best way to know the truth about reality? objectivity is the best way to know the truth about reality.
|Positions FOR Objectivity:|
|Descartes’ Scientific Method / Empiricism|
|Marx’s Historical Materialism / Ideology Critique|
|Positions AGAINST Objectivity:|
|Nietzsche’s Existential Perspectivism (Subjectivity)|
|Abram’s Phenomenology (Intersubjectivity)|
Possible debate options:
- Science vs Perspectivism
- Science vs Phenomenology
- Historical Materialism vs Perspectivism
- Historical Materialism vs Phenomenology
Write an 800-900 word essay in which you argue FOR or AGAINST the claim that objectivity is the best way to know the truth about reality.
- State your thesis clearly, indicating the argument you will make for or against objectivity and the opposition you will take up in response to your argument.
- Briefly define and distinguish “objectivity” from the oppositional position you consider in your paper.
- Criteria: Make an argument for your position based on a comparative advantage it has over the other position and use two examples to support your position.
- Develop two examples to illustrate & argue for your case.
- How do we know the truth about climate change?
- How do we know the truth about ___[your example here]___?
- Consider and refute your opposition’s best reply to your argument, making reference to the two examples.
- Demonstrate your compositional skills making use of the best arguments in the assigned texts.
- Do not make reference to philosophical texts not assigned in this course.
SWEEPSTAKES CHALLENGE: Read your example aloud to persuade others of your conclusion: that objectivity is, or is not, the best way to know the truth about reality. The player who earns the most iClicker votes earns an auto 100 % on the paper +5 extra credit. In order to be considered for the sweepstakes, please submit your paper 24 hours early, before the official due date and send me an email indicating you would like to read your paper in the debate. Papers will be selected based on giving the most students the opportunity to read a paper in a debate and the best arguments.
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE