The laws affecting divorce and dissolution of marriage are not subject to the following amendment to Article 6, Child Custody/Visitation of the Family Court Act (FCA).This activity addresses module outcomes 2 and 3. Upon completion of this activity, you will be able to:
- MO2: Compose an opinion. (CO1, 5)
- MO3: Evaluate a mediation based upon the Standards. (CO3, 4)
The MEAC weighs in on various disputes in a mediation when a mediator or CDRC requests it.
Assume that there is a state law in New York that requires the following:
FCA Section 6789 (A)(1): That separating parents of child(ren) under the age of 18 years, without already possessing a duly executed Order of Custody made by a family court judge must present to the court one of the following, prior to the court considering any application for an Order of (child) Custody:
- A fully detailed and complete parenting plan that conforms with the court-approved standard parenting plan form and has been properly executed with the notarized signature of the parents of the child(ren); or
- An agreement made because of child custody mediation. Said agreement must be presented to the court and must be on a court approved CDRC’s letterhead; or
- An Order of a NYS Supreme Court Justice directing family court to proceed with deliberations under Article 6 FCA.
For the purpose of this assignment, please read the scenario of Jane Doe and John Buck.
As a member of the MEAC, you have been asked to submit a draft opinion for the committee to discuss at its next meeting. You begin to address the following issues:
- Has the mediator pushed beyond the boundaries of their duties by providing information about the FCA?
- Has the mediator blatantly violated the quality of process by doing so?
- Has the mediator, by suggesting a resolution for the parties to agree to, violate the Standards and ethics of a mediator?
Using any of the Opinions referenced in the course or researched on your own as a template, provide your justification in a MEAC Opinion.
TO GET THIS OR ANY OTHER ASSIGNMENT DONE FOR YOU FROM SCRATCH, PLACE A NEW ORDER HERE